Friday, July 10, 2009

June-Part Two Last day of school

The kids on the last day of school.I mean, really, how did Aubrey grow so fast overnight? Going into third grade? It's absurd, until I listen to her read and realize that she probably does so at a level higher than myself. The girl read the word "Moronihah" correctly on the first go and has been reading The Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter since she started the second grade, she's just amazing. But I could've sworn that I was just rocking her to sleep at night or convincing her at 2 years old that wearing bowls on your head wasn't really a practical application of the object. It makes me happy and it makes me sad. She's growing up. And I know that I'm bias but she's got wings baby, she'll fly someday.

Walker: Where did my tow-headed little baby go that seemed to have some poor little Cheerio permanently planted on his face? First grade? Really? Kindergarten went too fast. I mean, I get that you can read, and that you can count and find addition and subtraction fascinating, but attempting muliplication? No way! I still remember making a fort in the living room and having this little 18 month old with very expressive eyebrows cautiously assess the situation and then run as fast as he could in hopes of destroying the fort that I determined was sturdy. Come to think of it, I guess that hasn't changed too much, you still like to destroy things! The only difference is now they're the things that you build yourself, the block creations, the elaborate train systems, etc.. I hope your first grade teacher is as great as your kindergarten teacher!
And Maverick? I mean, even as a baby you kinda looked like a little old man, but now you're spouting off wisdom like one? Your backseat driver's skills are amazing. "Mom, that light was yellow, you should've slowed down!" Didn't you just turn 3? And going into a preschool environment this next year just floors me. Although I should'nt be too surprised considering that for your third birthday you were so excited that your aunt Rolene bought you an "octagon" as a gift (which was really a frisbee wrapped up with coincidentally 8 sides.)
It's just sad to me that they are changing this fast. 3rd grade, 1st grade and preschool, what's a mom to do? I loved all the stages of their babyhood, I guess I'll continue to love their oncoming stages, but it's moving a little too fast for me.

I could've sworn that I'm still 21, newly married, full of vim and vigor, fully rested, skinny and muscular. Until 10 years later, I look in the mirror at 5:55 in the morning because the kids who have each deposited an extra 10 pounds on my frame (that I can't seem to lose) have woken me up, excited to attend their last day of school. I have to face it, things have changed. They're growing up. I look at my adorable alarm clocks and realize that all of this is part of the plan. I'm in their lives to witness the growth, the changes, and apparently teach them and nurture them on their way to greatness. Still, does it have to happen so fast?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

No, let's just pretend nothings changing...I'm with ya. Adorable kids...great family!

D3AB said...

This post got me a little misty-eyed! I miss Mrs. Karlquist! Drew had the same "do a jig" part when he was in. Too funny.