Sunday, January 31, 2010

Going back in Time-September First Day of School





Oh, the first day is here of a long school year, hip hurrah, shout hurrah....
I know this sounds bad, but I was a little excited for school to begin this year. Don't get me wrong, during the summer I enjoy not having somewhere to go, somewhere to be, or 4 little ones to get ready for that mysterious somewhere but I don't mind having a schedule either. Everyone in the house gets up early anyway, we might as well get ready and have some place to be. How about school?! I also was a little excited about the fact that 2 days a week, while Mavy attended preschool I would only have Ainsley to cart around (especially because she's equivalent to 4 children herself.)
So on the first day of school, I approached excitement and sadness all rolled into one emotion as I watched the kids plop on their backpacks and walk onto campus. Chris, Maverick, Ainsley, and I all escorted Aubrey and Walker to their respective classrooms.
As Aubrey and Walker walked together and in front of their mom and dad laughing and practically skipping away, I snapped a picture of the moment. Chris turned to me and said "This is why we tried to have our kids so close together. They actually like each other." We continued to their classrooms, gave a wave and a "good luck" to their teachers (who are amazing by the way, so amazing in fact that Chris kept teasing me that I was using my PTO powers for my benefit) and then we slowly, methodically walked back to the van. What should I do now? I sat in my van for a few minutes, waiting for all of the other parents to drop off their children too, and realized that it was a little more quiet in the van, weird. Maverick and Ainsley soon made up the difference though and we continued with our "fun-filled" day of errands.

The first day of school ended with warm cookies and milk waiting for us when we arrived back home and Maverick and Ainsley were awfully glad to see the olders come home (apparently a whole day with mom and errands was not the way they wanted to celebrate this new schedule.)

1 comment:

Kristin Chesnik said...

So what if you had used your PTO status to get good teachers--if you don't deserve them, who does? LOL!