For the fourth of July we stayed at the Thatcher's town house in San Diego which was extremely generous of them especially because the 4th of July festivities going on around us were simply put, amazing. So here's an official thank you to the Thatchers for letting stay in your diggs for a few days.
On one day we casually walked over to the San Diego County Fair (which is the best fair that I've been to) and was practically set up in the backyard of the townhouse. It was close enough to enjoy the lights, far enough away that we couldn't smell funnel cakes and the deep fried twinkies. Just Perfect. The kids loved it and couldn't wait to ride the humongous ferris wheel that sat as the crown jewel of the fair. The kids enjoyed snow cones, we had giant french fries, and I had a fantastic gyro while there. I know that posting about the food we consumed is ancillary and almost unecessary however I was pretty proud that I didn't eat anything deep-fried or battered despite how delicious they smelled, hence the inclusion.
The kids participated in classic fair games, we watched some turkey races, and even judged some fair animals according to our own criteria, okay, mostly by which smelled the worst.
Then on fourth of July proper, we literally stood atop the upper deck of the townhouse and watched the coolest fireworks display being set off from the fair while all in our PJs.
The following story for adult eyes only: We saw a group of people start to walk up the side walkway by the townhouse and sit on a path near the backyard to enjoy the fireworks show when all of a sudden both Chris and I heard water trickling down below. We looked down to see a steady stream coming from the upper deck where we were standing straight from...Maverick. So when we finally 'snapped out of it' we quickly tried to move Maverick to the bathroom (a whole 10 feet away) to finish his 'business' but he assured us that he was done. Luckily, no one was hit by Maverick's 'relief efforts' and we think, nobody saw....Chris then went down and hosed off the back patio below. I tell this story only because Chris and I chuckled about how embarrassing and terrible that could've been for some unfortunate passerby trying to enjoy a fourth of July show and how completely uninhibited and confident our 3 year old is. We got a good laugh, and I'm sure I'll get in trouble from someone for telling this story, but I didn't really want to forget it either.
3 comments:
Oh, I so miss you guys! Give your kids a big hug from their Aunty Mindy! I miss my deep conversations with Mavi too!
I'm so glad that my boys aren't the only ones that can't control their bathroom needs when they are outside. My oldest son thinks that trees are the perfect place for relief when he's outside. Once, while camping, he decided the road through the campground was the bathroom. That was fun...
Too funny. I'm sure the Thatcher's appreciated that you quickly washed off the deck.
Post a Comment