Saturday, July 19, 2008

Trip Vs. Vacation





My husband wants me to explain that this is not our first "vacation", because according to him, we've taken many-a-trip since Aubrey was born. But I disagree. You see a "trip" is very different from a "vacation." Please hear me out while I juxtapose the two: a trip and a vacation.
Yes, while we have taken many trips in the last few years, (all that we have enjoyed and treasured, might I add), a trip is a jaunt which entails packing and toting and entertaining the children and husband for the entirety of the "trip."
My roles on said "trip" include:
1. Mediator in the car between 2 or more children who want the same toy,
2. Climate control attorney, fighting for my rights to a non-frigid air stream blowing through mine and my children's faces (Chris likes it cold)
3. Entertainment hostess at the destination, and during the travel, with having age appropriate activities for one and all.
4. Tour director at wherever it is we go, finding only the cleanest of rest rooms to service our needs.
5. Personal chef for the family;
a. which usually includes the cooking at said destination, (with 4 kids, I don't expect others to cater to us)
b. and while en route, (which entails correct distribution of each Happy Meal to each passenger, and the careful and strategic wrapping of whatever the driver orders so as not to drip or make mess while driving.)
6. Maid, I try not to destroy the destination while we're there
7. Dress and Grooming, after all, I've done all the packing for the family and know what goes where and who wears what, and most importantly, what's clean and what's dirty.
8. And most critical, wife and mother
Just to name a few....

Now on a "vacation" I can delete or at least edit roles 1-7. I keep 8 on there because I'm with my husband on the vacation...Not too challenging to juxtapose.

Like I said these trips are lots of fun, but not relaxing in the least bit. When I get home I have loads of laundry reminding me of all of the adventures and little to no patience with everyone around me. I do love trips and cherish them, but was in desperate need for a vacation.

Pictured above is the S.S. Merrill houseboat upon which we sailed and docked with 5 other couples (Merrill Lynch friends and their wives.) It was absolutely fantastic! Slideshow to Follow!

3 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Amen sister!!! If I end up working harder than I would at home, it is not a vacation - it's a trip. The perk is that you get to do all that work, and more, but with new scenery. A vacation, ah, a vacation, on the other hand. I don't quite know what to do with myself when I am not responsible for everyone. It feels very odd and I start to remember what it was like before I had to start counting heads. You do forget. Wow, I really need a vacation!

Audry said...

While I agree that there is a difference, what you call a trip is what I call a vacation and what you call a vacation is what I call a trip. :)

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

Vacation? What's that? :) Yes, very different than a trip. Not for dad though. Dad doesn't think about all the other stuff (#1-7).

Hope you had a great time on your 'vacation'!!!