Saturday, November 14, 2009

Summer swim lessons



Don't let the above picture fool you. Maverick is seemingly filling his belly with junk filled goodness while basking in the glory of an amazing swim lesson session. Okay, to his credit, that really is junk filled goodness in front of him and there was vast improvement throughout the session, but it started out a bit sticky.
"I don't want to die!" is the quote that sticks out in my mind the most. Throughout the first week of class, Maverick would politely decline his teacher's suggestion that he get in the water. But Maverick wasn't lucky enough to get out of it as I had to be in the water with him, and if I had to be in a swim suit in public, he was not backing out of this. So he got dipped a few times by his loving, only-wanting-the-best-for-her-children mother. The other parents and swim instructors looked forward to Maverick's arrival each day (they reminded me) to hear him loudly and matter of factly declare that he "didn't want to die today." Wish I was exaggerating. After his declaration for love of life, he would scream, cry and wimper throughout the lesson, but still go through the motions. But by the end of the session he was acting like a seasoned pro yelling things like "look at this" when he jumped in the water with a twist or "oh, it's not that bad" when a new little swimmer showed signs of nerves. In fact at the end of the session, he was the only 3 year old guppy that was brave enough to hurl himself down the water slide in the deep pool (somebody there to catch him of course.) It was definitely worth the time taken, I'll say that with a surety.

And as for the other kids, yet another year down of swim lessons. It's exciting to see them swim laps with form and dive in with no fear. I've been a worried mom with my kids and water so this is a little bit reassuring for me. I did find out that there is a swim team here in the area, jury's still out on whether or not I want to add one more thing to the schedule...but it is an option...

No comments: