Sunday, December 14, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Christmas time has several attributes to which I look forward: The smell of cinnamon and pine trees, the chill in the air, (even here in the desert), the constant marathons of "A Christmas Story" on the tv, and the gentle sounds of music that I yen to play and sing loudly to. Yes, I know all the words of "Grandma got ran over.."
On the one hand I'm offended that commercials, malls, and stores start celebrating this grand holiday way into October and November, but on the other hand, I'm excited at the thought of drinking hot cocoa, wrapping secret presents, and sitting together as a family to read out of Luke 2.
One of my favorite songs of Christmas time is one called, "Mary, Did You Know?" (Feel free to scroll the music on the right hand side to hear it.) I love the words, I love the feelings, I love the meaning. In our society where "things" are expected, desired, horded, and worshiped, I love to be reminded of the humble beginnings of the Savior of the world.
He was born into a place less desirable, yet he was born to a woman virtuous and they were happy. Last year when I was eight months pregnant with Ainsley, large, definitely "great with child," I was given a statue from my mother in law that has since been one of my favorite decorations of the year.
I think of how uncomfortable, tiresome, emotional, stressful, and utterly painful pregnancy can be yet I didn't have to travel a long distance nor give birth in a place unsanitary, with no bed, no medicine, no experience, no technology, and very little comfort. I imagine in my mind, this woman Mary, looking upon the face of her new little baby with love and attachment. Sure she had been visited and taught the significance of this child and His potential, but could she truly understand the depth?
Did she truly understand that the son she had just delivered would be the Deliverer of all mankind? The Prince of Peace, The Savior. I can't begin to comprehend the unmitigated virtue of this one woman, Mary, to deserve such a title as earthly Mother to the Messiah.
I'm grateful for this holiday that I may reflect on this first "Christmas." And I'm grateful for the opportunity to celebrate the Savior, His condescension among men, His Atonement for all mankind, and His infinite love. Merry Christmas.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

That was beautiful. Merry Christmas!

The Risenmay Family said...

"Mary Did You Know" is also my favorite Christmas song. I also love "Oh, Holy Night".

The Risenmay Family said...

I love the statue, maybe my mother-in-law will also give me one, can you put in a good word for me?

Ashley said...

I loved that post! Merry Christmas!

Kristin Chesnik said...

You have inspired me to write my own testimony in my family blog--what a beautiful thing!

Kristin Edington Chesnik (BYU)

Candice said...

Thank you for the Christmas card! I'm so glad you included your blog on the card.

love,
Scott & Candice (Risenmay)

Rolene and David said...

That is funny that you say that, the first week in December we had a Christmas program in Relief Society and it was the first time I was okay with having Clark on Christmas, obviously that didn't happen, but it made me realize that I shouldn't have been picky about when he was born, especially since I had it "easy" delivering in a hospital, as opposed to Mary who was in a stable. How selfish and bad did I feel! It is a great time of year, and yes "Mary did you know" is one of my faves! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Thank you for your post. That was beautiful, and so true. "Mary did you know" is one of my favorites. We sang it in the Christmas Concert several times, and I always had a hard time getting through it. Hard to sing when your welling up.

Love you!