Friday, October 3, 2008

Friday at School




Aubrey was student of the month for September! We just got home from the Friday morning assembly where Aubrey was honored from her class and as you can tell Maverick was quite proud of his big sister. In fact, while it was her turn to be announced, he took a break from overflowing the indoor drinking fountain to give her a round of applause! We're so proud of Aubrey and everything that she does. She loves school and takes these honors very seriously, (especially with this one, because she earns a donut and juice after the assembly). Hey, when there's awards, there's awards! She constantly amazes us with her maturity and her desire to learn and we hope it continues! She brings us so much joy, not just because of her successes, but because she is genuinely a very good person.



This past week, Walker was Star of the Week in his Kindergarten class. In the top picture, Walker is holding his poster that we made for his Super Star Week. It includes such vital information as his favorite color: blue, and his ambition: to become a fireman when he grows up. It also has photos attached of things that he's interested in: skateboarding, his family, SeaWorld, bowling, and if you look really close (on the bottom of the poster), eating his dinner like a piggy. When the teacher asked Walker about this photo specifically, he just said very calmly and with his Walker-esque sneer, "My mom made me eat my dinner like a pig." Walker came home and told me this story but didn't understand why the teacher thought this was so funny. When he appeared frustrated by the reaction he received, I then had to explain to him that sometimes people laugh "with you" and not "at you." Overall he thought this was a pretty great week.
As star of the week you are given certain privileges. You get to sit in a special chair, you get to bring things in for show and tell, and you can even bring a treat in for the class. Well, this week's letter of the week was "M" so we brought in a: Monster Truck toy, Mini Muffins, Maverick and a book named "My Dad's Job." Did you catch that third little insert? Yes, Maverick attended Kindergarten for approximately ten minutes! During which he tried to push his older brother out of his special star of the week chair, filled the sink up with water, and took apart several puzzles. Not bad for ten minutes. While Walker was introducing the rest of his family, (Aubrey, myself, and Ainsley on this particular day) Maverick was definitely busying himself. But one of the
other highlights was that Walker appeared to be quite proud of his family's attendance! When the other classmates asked about 'the baby,' we told them that she came to show the class how much she loved her brother, Walker. Walker immediately started turning on his charm in front of the class and started his barrage towards Ainsley, "Oh, Hi Ainsley! Whatcha doin' Ainsley? And such. She started to giggle and giggle loudly on impact. The class and the teacher just loved it! It was a very cute moment! Later in the week, I had several parents approach me and ask if Walker really brought his family in for show and tell. Apparently a few of the students went home that day and told their parents that when they would be stars of the week, they needed to get all of their siblings out of school to attend Kindergarten with them.

Another highlight: on Friday, Chris went into Walker's class and read the book,"My Dad's Job" (in the bottom picture.) Earlier, before school when I asked Walker what Chris did for work, Walker just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know, something to do with papers and a computer." I think it's funny that the kids know he leaves to go to work but can't exactly identify
what it is that he does...come to think of it, I'm not quite sure I could answer that either!
I remember when we asked Aubrey that same question (about daddy and work) when she was around 4 years old. We laughed as she casually and with a surety answered: "Daddy goes to work and eats candy." I think both kids are right! But, in Chris' defense, it's probably a little more complicated than that.

10 comments:

Whitney R said...

How fun for Walker to have his family there at show and tell :) I would have loved that!

And so funny to hear about Maverick with all the water. Seeing him at the reunion with that water bottle and the cup that he kept refilling and then dumping out was so funny. I can just imagine. haha

A Year of Service said...

Your kids are so cute! Congratulations to Aubry for student of the month! She was telling us about it on the way home one day. Yes, the donut seemed to be a highlight. How cute that Walker brought the family in for show and tell!
I didn't know that Chris has such a difficult job - eating candy all day! ;) Funny what kids think huh?

Rolene and David said...

We are so proud of Aubrey and Walker! Way to go!!! Uncle David and I wished we could have been at their ceremonies...

HAdams said...

you guys are too cute and you are a pretty awesome mom, roxanne. No one can ever say that your kids don't have personality!!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Good job on student of the month in September. You can't do better than that.

It is so great that in Kindergarten they WANT family to be around to show off. Someday he might be embarrassed by such a thing. (Not that he'd ever be embarrassed by you!)

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

I shudder to think what my kids say I do for a job!

D3AB said...

That is too funny what Walker said about Chris' job. Your kids are so grown up and have such wit and a young age. When Danielle was in First Grade, they asked each child to bring their parent to talk about their career. Her exact words when she got home were: "Mom, we are having career day at school and I want Grandpa to come." Not sure if Dean has gotten over that one or not. Hey I miss our walks, hope you are doing well. Dayna

Audry said...

Way to go Aubrey!!!

Walker is so funny. I love what he said about what Chris does.

jayna said...

your kids are so cute!!! last time i saw them it was only one. aubrey. and she was just a little baby! wow... sorry for the delay in response from me on facebook... hope you are well. hugs-

Lindsay said...

I laughed so hard at the eating dinner like a piggy comment...I mean I'm laughing with you Walker! HAHAHA! I think Aubrey's right, I think daddy's do just eat candy...