Well folks, what more can I say...when I arrived home from the amazing, wonderful, can't complain at all, fabulous, better than I could have imagined concert, I had very little voice and a lot of energy!
Rolene and David came into town to watch the kids for Chris and I to attend the show, but there was a small change of plans. Due to dramatic work changes that occurred the morning before, (the likes of which are too huge to address at this point), Chris couldn't make the concert. It was sad, I practically begged him to try to attend, but it just couldn't happen. Luckily, because Jason Mraz was still involved in the mix, it was still a great anniversary gift!
I took my friend Tera Thatcher with me, one: because she's fantastic, two: because she was also a fan of Mr. A-Z. Tera and I left at about 5:00pm after Rolene had taught me the proper way to dress for a concert, and after David kept reminding me to wear close-toed shoes. What can I say, I'm a rookie at this whole concert thing, and I kept telling them that I was going to dance, and jump, and probably embarrass myself in some form. They prepared me well.
We got to the venue early enough for me to buy a shirt, a few buttons, and another CD by the man. I made sure to bring enough pocket change to accommodate such purchases, and to be honest, was willing to buy anything they offered, as long as it said Jason Mraz somewhere on it.
The interesting thing about this whole thing...I'm really not a star-struck kind of person. On occasion, here in the desert we see celebrities at golf tournaments or at restaurants and I really don't get that excited. In fact, I prefer to leave them alone. I'm not necessarily impressed by "fame." But, I tell you what, I entered this concert environment and was geniunely nervous to see Jason Mraz in 15 feet away from me.
When he came out onto the stage, my heart started beating wildly, I couldn't stop from jumping up and down, and truly became flustered! How dare that girl stand in between me and Jason?! How dare that microphone block my perfectly good line of sight? I mean, I just couldn't contain myself! I was singing, dancing, and would've totally embarrassed my husband if he were there. (I did have my faculties about me though, lest you think I acted crazily.) But, I'll admit, at several points during the concert, I pondered whether or not it would be worth it to try to jump on the stage and risk jail time. This was an odd and exhilarating feeling.
Now, I know that it's odd, maybe even awkward that I keep calling Jason Mraz my new BFF, but let me just tell you what happened...he totally talked to me. Sure there were 3000 other people attending his personal serenade to me, but he spoke to me. Let me set the stage, if you will...
Jason, (yes, we're on a first name basis), began to play one of his magical songs, when I noticed that he had started the song incorrectly (it's unfortunate that I know his music so well as to pick up on this mistake.) He stopped his band after the first line, and said something to the effect of: "I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight knowing that I started this song off incorrectly, let me start it over.." He handled it brilliantly, of course. Well, there were a few seconds before he started the song again, and I could totally tell that he wanted to hear from me. So, while there was a silent moment in the time from the rest of the audience, I, very politely and with great dignity yelled: "Take your time Jason!" (Now, remember that I'm only in the fifth row.) He looked out into the audience and through a chuckle said: "Well, thank you! Thank you, I will!"
Tera looked at me with eyes wide open and said: "He totally talked to you!" I, then, of course, with great maturity, squealed and said "I know, I know!" The other people around me congratulated me as well and totally gave me credit! What can I say, Jason Mraz practically begged me to be his #1 fan at this moment and his new BFF! Done.
It was wonderful, I loved every second, I sang every word, and now can say:
Been There, Done That, Bought the T-Shirt!....(and the buttons, and the CD.)
When I came home, I told Chris, Rolene, and David all about my new adventure at a concert and I'm pretty sure I squealed when I told the story about my new BFF. I didn't get my voice back for a week. It was totally worth it!
11 comments:
You are a crack-up! Amazing that you got 5th row - WOW! I'm totally jealous. What a great aniiversary present.
I am shocked. Sounds like there was some chemistry there. Poor sweet Chris, and with the anniversary present he gave you no less. It is a good thing all those gals and microphones were between you two. In your state of mind, who knows what could have happened in a moment of passion . Glad Tera was there to reign you in, girl.
You are hilarious! I'm glad you had such a fun concert to go to for your first time. I think my first concert was Chicago and I went with my brother and sister and his date. People were making out all over and me and my sister were sitting there keeping tabs on my brother. :) No Jason Mraz but still memorable. :)
Yeah, you posted about Jason. This was such a great concert and I was overjoyed to have been there with you. When is the next one?
BTW, I am going to link your blog to mine FYI. It is just too fun not to share.
Okay -- so I was snooping to see what your family is up and to and lo and behold I have a new BFF!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Mraz and would have made as big of a fool of myself as you did (and keep in mind I am soon to be 20 years older than you). I loved your story and just so you know it is okay at 30, 40, or dare I say it -- even 50 --- to go to a concert and lose you voice for the pure JOY of it all! If only I could get POLO to do it too! I love reading your family blog -- you are a great and funny writer.
So funny! I am glad you had such a good time. Maybe it was best Chris couldn't see you drooling over Mr. Mraz. I totally would have peed my pants if he'd actually spoken to me because I AM celebrity obsessed. So sad but true.....
Well, how many people can say that JM talked to them.! I can only imagine your excitement. What a great anniversary gift.
You are wild, I knew it all along, you and your Kenny Rogers roots. Loved the story telling, laughed the whole way through because when we Walkers cut loose there's no tellin what will happen!
this is hilarious! Ben and I went to Mraz on Nov 2 in Berkeley for my Birthday- he is so awesome in concert! Girl you need to come visit our blog sometime and even more, come visit us next time you are in VV! benandkrystal.blogspot.com
Roxanne! You completely crack me up! By the way, you are totally obsessed with stardom, though you deny it. Remember when we saw Fred Savage at the Stratosphere in Vegas!?! You were speaking in tongues! Your excitement and joy about life is one of the best things about you!
Post a Comment