Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Housework

We are back from the dude ranch/Gilbert Reunion and we've brought home a nifty little souvenir of a cold. I was laying on the couch congested, achy, sore throat and such when all of a sudden I looked around at the apparent bomb that had just been let off by my children. Chris had to go out of town for a night and so it was just me and the kids for a few days, in our sickness and glory and, to what did my wondering eyes did appear?....no housekeeper or maid or nanny or magical elves that would find a way to clean the mess that had accumulated when the regular "help" was healthy. At one point I was so sick I was even hopeful that a crafty Rumpelstiltskin would show up to alleve me of some of my chores for the mere sum of a child. It got better however when I realized that right before the trip, I had taken these pictures of Ainsley . I couldn't wait to look at them. They reminded me that at some recent point in time, my house was clean and spotless, very unlike its current status.
Right before the trip I had embarked on my usual routine of deep cleaning the entire house before a big trip. (I know it's my OCD tendencies shining through but I just love to leave my house spotless when I leave for a trip so that I'll come home to "nothing to do.") I dressed Ainsley up in her housecoat while I was scrubbing and cleaning and clicked these pictures because she was cracking me up. Everytime I thought, "Why am I cleaning my house again?" I'd look at her and chuckle with words like "Lazy" under my breath, after all, even though she's dressed the part, she didn't do a lot of cleaning.

5 comments:

koko bean..... said...

Way way to cute....I love the hat..

Audry said...

Cute little baby! :) That hat is great.

HAdams said...

I completely understand the OCD tendencies of leaving a spotless house. Unfortunately the minute we walk through the door after arriving home it's like a massive bomb went off. Hope you start feeling better soon. Ainsley is insanely cute. Miss you guys!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh yes, I understand completely. I did the same thing. I insisted that my house was spotless before leaving for Yellowstone. It think it was because when I was camping and dirty i could think about my home, far far away and know it was clean - it was somehow comforting to me, and better yet, it was going to stay clean for two whole weeks! Maybe it's like the dying with clean underwear on thing - if anything happened to us on our travels...
Of course as soon as we got home with all our dirty, dusty camping gear and loads of smokey laundry, and six kids who had spent way too much time in the car it was all over. Now my clean house is just a memory, like our vacation.

Sorry you are ill. I know better than to ask if there is anything I can do, but if there is, let me know.

Jenie said...

I do the same thing with the clean house....then get home and wonder why, but it is nice to come home to a clean house knowing that you can sit on the couch guilt-free for a few minutes. :) I LOVE Ainsley's outfit; she can help me clean my house any time.