Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mini-Sanity Trip

Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this in a public way, (a line that should indicate that I should probably end this post now) but I was sick and tired of not seeing my husband due to work, church, and other obligations. And I was tired. It seems that life has picked up on us and our schedules sometimes coordinate, mostly conflict, and are all around too busy. Sure, sure, we have 5 kids now, no big whoop right, but it seems that we now have 7 schedules to coordinate, oh wait, I guess that last line really is true. We have actually condensed and omitted a lot of extra-curriculars as of late, but still, it is what it is: busy.
So one day, blame it on the post partum blues, Bode as of late waking up every 2 hours, or what not, but I cornered my husband and said "That's it, I need a break, you're taking me somewhere!"
He, of course, being the amazing guy he is, took the time to pull out his calendar so we could plan something. I had something going on here, he had something going on there, it ended up taking us several days (1) to spend enough time in the same room to actually pin down a day and (2) decide what we would actually do for this mini sanity trip.
So finally, this past Thursday night, we had our favorite babysitter (which I cringe calling her that as we consider her family) Emily, come to watch the kids for the night and following day. We headed up to Anaheim, (Chris must have figured I needed to go to the Happiest Place on Earth for my sanity day), stayed in a hotel and went to Disneyland the next day. Loved it.
Since Bode and I are a package deal, we didn't go on any thrill rides or anything but enjoyed doing all the things that we could do without little grabby hands. I toured the Disney art Museum, walked through stores with "breakables", and even took a drawing class at the Animation Academy. We snacked on Pommes Frites from Cafe Orleans which are now a 'must-do' every time we go back, we ate at different locations to break free from our 'norms' and, did our favorite: 'people watching.' It was great. I even stood in a line to acquire a cool button for Bode "1st Visit" for his memory books.

I love this picture (taken from my phone). We were sitting and watching "The Billy Hill and the Hillbillies" show and Bode was in a fantastic mood. Click, and there you have it. This picture just makes me happy.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job as a mother of 5, but I haven't had a lunch break in years, haven't had a good night's rest in at least 6 months, and haven't seen my husband for a long duration of time. It was a great trip, although coming back only after one day of break, it felt like a hard nap that I was woken up from too early that I wasn't quite ready to wake up. You know the ones where you are a little disoriented, can't string together a complete sentence and your eyelids are still so heavy.
The next morning after our return home, I was still trying to wake the sleep from my vacation eyes on the way to Walker's baseball game, the kid's Piano recital, and then the Baptism that we were invited to. Can't wait for my next sanity trip. Anyone want to come next time?

8 comments:

Karley said...

When we go to DisneyLand alone I can't help but always be thinking Oh Austin would love this, or I wonder if Austin is big enough for this ride, etc. If you can go there and love it just the two of you, then yes, you definately needed a break! Especially because the ticker at the top of your blog says you are expecting your sixth child in 39 weeks! So glad you had fun, and we are definately in for next time!

TnD said...

You absolutely deserved this. Next time take the whole weekend!

Audry said...

Fun! My kids are dying to go to Disneyland. Oh who am I kidding. I am too. :) It's one of the many things we miss, living so close.

Kristin Chesnik said...

So glad you had a much-deserved break! That picture is PRICELESS!

Jenie said...

Count me in....can we go tomorrow? :)

Lori said...

I have not forgotten that frozen meal... Will that help?

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Hey, a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do!

Amen about the blessed joy of walking into a shop filled with breakables without worrying about grabby little hands. Heaven!

Welcome back to reality.

Jana said...

TAKE ME